PCO Syndrome (Polycystic Ovaries)
PCO syndrome (Polycystic ovaries) is a dysfunction in a woman’s ovaries from which up to 10% of all women suffer.
The principle symptom is an abnormality on the ultrasound, on which numerous small marginal follicles are visible.
Other symptoms might include:
- Increased levels of male hormones, perhaps accompanied by acne, hair loss, or increased body hair growth
- Irregular menstruation cycles, possibly accompanied by absence of ovulation or even by bleeding (amenorrhea)
- Unfulfilled desire to have children, for instance due to reduced egg quality or lack of ovulation
- Sugar metabolism disorder, if also overweight (insulin resistance)
- Thickening in the mantle of the ovary (capsular contracture)